Thursday, September 19, 2013

Hospital Diary-2

'Its too heavy on that ward I don't know why you like working there.' One of my colleagues said to me. I just smiled answered, could it be because I look more at their needs than their attitudes.
I work almost everyday across the hospital in various wards with different needs to deal with and approaches.
Funny as I think back to how I got into this job. I was hoping to get a job as a features writer as I graduated in mass communication some 15 to 20 years ago now. I was introduced into this career as a step up thing it was supposed to be a temporary job whilst looking for the 'real' job.
I gave myself just nine months to stay in the job. I had wrinkled my nose on the job description anyway.
I began the job of washing,dressing, cooking sometimes for the elderly, frail, and vulnerable. Sometimes even cleaning their rooms and I mean all of them.
Then their families would come round on occasional visits. Hmm..I leave that for another time.
These people being cared for pay for their care. It was all new to me. I became educated in a new way. I completely forgot about the need to look for a job in the media.From all I had seen and encountered, journalism in the UK was all about entertaining people. They had very few factual news in their papers and most of the community newspapers sold for FREE. I saw the problem and, I would never get a print job here. So I turned my attention to using my hands instead of my pen and my mind. I no longer looked for another new job.
I began the caring job in the community as a professional job nearly a decade ago.  Although the lingering thought that I should be doing something else is still there, I love my present job.
I have worked with all kinds of people. People who are well versed and some who are not but give the impression that they are. The caring job is about giving and receiving from life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment